Thomas Concrete Group
In 1955 Martin Thomas founded AB Färdig Betong (today Thomas Betong AB) and its first concrete factory in Karlstad in Sweden. Over the years the company has developed into an international group named Thomas Concrete Group, but is still owned by the Swedish family Thomas. Thomas Betong is today a fully owned Swedish subsidiary. Over the past 60 years we have established a major presence on the concrete market in Northern Europe and the U.S. East coast.
We have also launched a series of new plants, while also acquiring other local facilities in Sweden, Germany, Poland and the United States.
1955 - Established operations in Sweden
1965 – Established operations in Germany
1985 - Established operations in USA
1994 – The Central Laboratory (C.lab)
1997 - Established operations in Poland
Jan Thomas, the son of Martin Thomas, joined the company in 1982 and was the CEO of the group from 1987 to 2012.
He was succeeded by the current CEO, Hans Karlander.
Thomas Concrete - U.S. Operations
- March of 1985 Martin Thomas, purchased Ben Hill Ready Mix Concrete, Inc. Ben Hill was operating three plants in Atlanta, Georgia at that time. Over the next two years Mr. Thomas acquired six more plants, including Bowen Concrete and in 1990 the name of the company was changed from Ben Hill/Bowen to Thomas Concrete. Thomas Concrete now has twenty locations in the Atlanta and surrounding area.
- February of 1996 - Capital Concrete was purchased in Raleigh, North Carolina, which now is operating five plants.
- December of 1996 - Sutton Redi-Mix in Rock Hill, South Carolina was purchased. From 1996 to the present we have grown to twelve plants in the Charlotte, North Carolina market.
- January of 1999 - two plants in Anderson, South Carolina were acquired from Fowler and Moats Construction and Concrete Inc. At the present we are operating eleven plants in the Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina market area.
- June 2013 – we took over Greer & Gaffney from Holcim in South Carolina.
- July 2014 - Thomas Concrete took over Spartanburg plant from Holcim.
- October 2014 - TSC purchased Moore, SC site from Holcim.
- May 2015 - Coastal Concrete was purchased which strategically position Thomas Concrete well for future growth. Thomas Coastal division has plants in Savannah, Augusta, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Columbia and Charleston.
Today we operate a total of 65 plants and are the largest independent supplier of ready-mixed concrete in our market. Our extensive network of plants means we have local operations close to our customers and their construction sites, which results in short transportation distances and a greater regard for the environment.